Roger Bradbury leads the Strategy and Statecraft in Cyberspace research program for the National Security College at the Australian National University. He is a complex systems scientist, trained originally as a zoologist. His research interests lie in the modelling and simulation of the dynamics of coupled social and natural systems. In recent years he worked in the Australian Intelligence Community on the strategic analysis of international science and technology issues. He is particularly interested in cyberspace as a strategic domain.
He was Chief Scientist in the Bureau of Resource Sciences in the 90s and leader of the Marine Systems Group and Deputy Director at the Australian Institute of Marine Science in the 80s. He is a Fellow of the CSIRO Centre for Complex Systems Science, and, in the past, has held adjunct positions at the Fenner School of Environment and Society, the Resource Management in Asia-Pacific Program (both at the ANU), the School of Integrative Biology at the University of Queensland, and the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning at the University of Melbourne.
- Fellow, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, Canberra (2003–05)
- Visiting Fellow, Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Australian National University (2000–04)
- Chief, Fisheries & Forestry Sciences Division, Bureau of Rural Sciences (1999–2000)
- Chief, Advanced R&D Centres, Bureau of Resource Sciences (1998)
- Director, National Resource Information Centre (1990–97)
- Program Leader, Marine Systems, Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville (1985–1990)
Statecraft and strategy in cyberspace
Using the ideas and methods of complex systems to better understand the behaviour and dynamics of state and non-state actors in cyberspace.
Using the ideas and methods of complex systems to better understand how public policy is even possible in complex coupled socio-economic and biophysical systems.
How to use the ideas and methods of complex systems to better manage the world’s coral reef ecosystems for the benefit of the people and other organisms that depend on them. Roger and Pascal Perez lead a World-Bank-funded working group on modelling and decision support within the Coral Reef Targeted Research Project (www.gefcoral.org).
- Cyberintelligence and security NSPO8009 (with Professor Paul Cornish)
- Statecraft and national security in cyberspace NSPO8021