Suiwah Dean-Leung is an Adjunct Associate Professor of Economics. Her research interests include International finance, financial sector developments, open economy macroeconomics and postgraduate economics education.
Related research centres
The 20th Anniversary of the first Vietnamese PhD students to study at ANU will be marked on Thursday at conference with a difference – the influential thinkers and policy makers it draws from the southeast Asian country are all ANU graduates.
The conference – The Way forward – Policy choices for Vietnam – brings together highly-successful ANU PhD graduates from Vietnam to discuss the future management of the country’s economy now that it has joined the ranks of middle-income countries within ASEAN.
The conference will also offer the opportunity for other Mekong countries to learn from Vietnam’s experience over the last two decades, by bringing in ANU graduates from Cambodia and Lao PDR, as well as a senior economic adviser from Myanmar.
“To our knowledge, this is the first time that a group of Australian university international alumni in senior positions in government and academia are coming back to their alma mater to discuss the future economic management of their countries. AusAID is strongly in support of this initiative”, said Dr Suiwah Leung of the Crawford School of Public Policy.
Both Dr Leung and Ms Billie Headon of the Crawford School were awarded medals last year by the Vietnamese government for their contribution to the country’s education.
The Chancellor Professor the Hon Gareth Evans AC QC, will be giving an address at the conference dinner on Australia in the Asian century and will also officiate in a short ceremony to recognize our distinguished alumni from the region.
Distinguished alumni attending the event include:
• Vo Tri Thanh – Senior economic advisor and Vice-President of the Central Institute for Economic Management , Ministry of Planning and Investment, Vietnam..
• Ngo Huy Duc –Director of the Institute of Political Science and the Leadership Centre of the Ho Chi Minh National Political and Administrative Academy.
• Tran Tho Dat – Professor and Vice-President of the National Economics University (NEU).
• Nguyen Quang Ha – Vice President of the Vietnam Forestry University (VFU).
• Nguyen Ngoc Thanh – Associate professor and Vice-Rector, University of Economics and Business, Vietnam National University.
• Bui Quang Tuan – Associate Professor and Deputy Director-General, Vietnam Institute of Economics.
• Pham Thi Lan Huong – Economic consultant and until August 2012, Head, Macroeconomics Department, Central Institute for Economics Management, Ministry of Planning and Investment.
• Doan Quang – Senior Economist , World Bank (Vietnam).
• Vu Quoc Huy – Head, Department of Economics, University of Economics and Business, Vietnam National University.
• Nguyen Van Ngai - Dean, Faculty of Economics, University of Agriculture and Forestry, Thu Duc.
• Sinxayvoravong Bounleua – Lao Ministry of Finance, currently Alternate Executive Director,the Asian Development Bank (representing Lao PDR andother constituent countries including Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan).
• Sengsourivong Fongchinda - Director of Monetary and Exchange Rate Policies Division, Monetary Policy, Bank of Lao PDR.
• Kem Reat Viseth - Advisor to the Deputy Prime Minister, Cabinet of the Deputy Prime Minister, Cambodia.
• Pen Sopakphea - Deputy Director General, Taxation Department of the Ministry of Finance, Cambodia.